If you are crazy about coffee, chances are you love it not just as a drink but also a work of art. To enjoy coffee beverages with nice foamy toppings and cute drawings at home, you need a milk frother.
A milk frother is a tool with which you give your coffee that foamy topping. It aerates the milk by rapidly agitating it. This forms air bubbles within the milk and results in the foamy mixture which, if you desire, you can now draw on. Milk frothers are not useful for only coffee, you can use them for milkshakes and hot chocolates too.
Espresso makers generally come with steam-operated milk frothers. But if you don’t have one, you can enjoy the same effect with a milk frother! There are different types of milk frothers that you can choose from.
- Fast, Easy Tips To Use Electric Milk Frothers
- Our Top Recommendations
- Best Milk Frothers
- Best Cheap Milk Frothers
- Milk Frother Buying Guide
- 4 Popular Types of Milk Frothers
- 1. Electric Milk Frother
- 2. Handheld Milk Frother
- 3. Hand-pump Milk Frother
- 4. Steam Milk Frother
- 6 Factors When Choosing The Best Milk Frother?
- Fixing your handheld electric Milk Frother
- Great guide of how to make a latte art heart
- Final Thoughts
Fast, Easy Tips To Use Electric Milk Frothers
- Fetch cold or freshly opened milk. Some dairy products produce super quality and thick froth compared to others. For instance, soy or coconut milk can give airy froth in contrast to other dairy products. For each appliance, try diverse frothed milk options whereas interchanging frothing disks to attain different results.
- To achieve optimum froth volume, avoid exceeding the cappuccino/latte maximum measurement marked in the milk jug.
- Always let the appliance to start for a few seconds before you add ingredients with the measuring cap. This will let the milk to gain heat and dissolve added ingredients completely. Get rid of overload air bubbles by tapping the milk and placing on a steady surface slowly. Whirl frothed milk before emptying into a drinking cup.
- Never re-foam milk that is already frothed or heated. Sprinkling dense ingredients such as chunky syrups, big flakes or heavy powder can lessen the amount of foam produced.
- The frothing disc should be maintained roughly below the foam mark using your hands without shaking the appliance to create a full cup of foam. If the frothing disc is motionless or dislocated, stop the operation and inserted correctly. Consult the manual guide to maintain attachments or frothing discs in a correct position. If the frothing disc is improperly fixed, it can cause milk to burn with the formation of a thin layer at the bottom.
- Electric milk frothers allow you to prepare various frothed beverages such as hot chocolate, cappuccino, latte, iced coffee/iced chocolate, soy milk, cocoa powder, and many more. Avoid thick ingredients like butter, gravies, oil, cubed chocolates or fresh herbs. They can jam the appliance and destroy delicate parts.
- Adjust temperatures to get hot, warm or cold frothed milk as desired. The appliances have selectable switches to vary heat and an automated feature that shuts off the device when frothing is complete. However, the device should not be left unattended or with children as it can cause accidents.
- Maintenance for technical deficiencies may require you to hire an authorised professional. You can buy additional disks for your appliance for replacement later.
Take a look at our milk frother FAQ guide for answers to many more questions.
Our Top Recommendations
So, without taking up any more of your valuable time, let’s get through this list.
Best Milk Frothers
These are our top choices based on customer reviews and our own personal preference. However the choice is fantastic so it has been very hard for us to limit it to just these five brands. Scroll down for even more!
1. Dualit 84135
The Dualit milk frother is a very high quality product but is actually very reasonably priced.
Made out of stainless steel, it looks sleek and premium, and will fit into your kitchen quite easily. If you’ve used a Dualit product before, you will know how reliable and well-made they are. We found this to be the same with this frother.
If you’re after an indulgent cappuccino or a cup of luxurious hot chocolate, this provides the professional look you often see at expensive coffee shops.
It’s super easy to use, and requires no experience at all. In fact, with the click of a button, you will be making drinks like a professional barista. It’s very quick as well, and you can now get fresh froth on your coffee in a matter of minutes.
For example, with its patented dual function powerful motor, it can froth and heat roughly 200ml of milk in less than 2 minutes. That’s ideal if you quickly want to make some cappuccinos and leave a lasting impression when guests come over.
For those hot summer days, you can froth cold milk to create incredibly creamy and frothy milkshakes.
Best of all, you don’t even need to do anything. Just choose which type of drink you want, and the right speed will automatically be chosen for you.
Cleaning is quite easy as well due to the non-stick coating and removable whisk. As long as you follow the instructions, you shouldn’t have any problems with any left over residue. Just make sure to clean the container straight after usage and rinse out the whisk and lid.
- TRIPLE FUNCTION MILK FROTHER: Dualit's Milk Frother has three easy to use functions for making steamed milk, hot frothed milk or cold frothed milk all at the touch of a button. Ideal for warming Milk,...
- FROTH MADE IN MINUTES: This wipe-clean Milk heater and frother takes just two minutes to heat or froth milk for your coffees or froth cold milk perfect for a creamy milkshake or smooth bubbly...
- GENEROUS CAPACITY: The Milk Frother has a capacity of 320ml after heating; enough to make two delicious hot drinks!
Having tested this for quite a long time, we can safely say that this is the best milk frother at this price and we highly recommend it.
2. Severin 117840B
The built-in frothing jug is detachable and made of stainless steel. It features a 360-degree connector that makes it very easy to use.
It looks fantastic, and has a large capacity. Saying that, it is still very compact so won’t take up much space on your kitchen counter.
The induction heating technology is a very innovate approach creating froth and works extremely well. It’s totally safe and lets you choose between 4 different temperature settings.
The built-in LED indicator lets you know which setting you’re using, and we found this feature to be quite helpful.
With a power rating of 500W, this Severin milk frother takes little to no time in frothing to perfection.
During the frothing process, it is possible to open the lid if you want to add in some chocolate powder or syrup.
With the jug being dishwasher safe, cleaning up afterwards is very easy and takes no time at all.
Whether you like a hot cup of cappuccino or a lovely latte with froth, this delivers beautiful results and lets you enjoy barista style coffee from the comfort of your own home at very little cost.
- detachable stainless steel milk frothing jug, 360? connector for easy use
- induction heating technology
- Adjustable temperature settings with LED indicators;suitable for frothing 100 - 350 ml or heating up 100 to 700 ml of milk
3. Nespresso Aeroccino Electric Milk Frother
This modern style milk frother will froth cold milk in about seventy seconds. It has a beautiful chrome outside and state of the art design. Reviewers have noticed that this appliance works really well with as little as 1/3 a cup of milk to make a nice neat milk froth. There are maximum and minimum indicators that come in handy when pouring the milk for frothing.
Rinse out to clean
This appliance has manageable clean up but you cannot put this in the dishwasher. It is suggested that you wipe the milk out immediately after every use and run some warm water and rinse out after every use. There is no warranty that comes with the product but you can buy a two to three year warranty. This would be good for light use. The frother makes both hot and cold milk froth.
- Respected brand
- Easy On/Off button
- Modern design
- Only makes enough froth for one coffee at a time
- The Aeroccino3 is an ultra-simple and fast automatic system for prepration of light and creamy hot or cold milk froth
- Comes in original black Nespresso packaging and operates as a complete, standalone unit. Includes base unit, power supply and whisks.
- Mains operated
For more information read our full review of the Nespresso Aeroccino Electric Milk Frother
4. Andrew James Dual Function Electric Milk Frother
Andrew James has built a reputation for itself as a company that produces high quality products at affordable prices.
This electric mini frother is no exception, and provides very good performance at a very low price.
It looks durable and very well made. The red coloured finish looks fantastic as well.
Storage is not an issue as this milk heater and frother is miniature, and will take up very little space.
Don’t let its size fool you though, because this is a powerful machine and has a 450-watt motor that works brilliantly.
With a capacity of 600ml, it can froth hot and cold milk in no time. If you’re not bothered about frothing, you can remove the frother attachment and just warm up to 300ml of milk.
It is incredibly easy to operate thanks to the one-touch system and automatic settings. It’s really as simple as putting in milk inside the jug, choosing your setting of choice and letting it run for a few minutes.
It’s also very easy to clean, thanks to the non-stick coated interior. This is a massive plus point since cleaning up is almost always the part that people hate.
Whether you’re planning to make barista style drinks or yummy ice-cold milkshakes, this is the best milk frother within its price range. It really is an absolute bargain. It produces smooth and creamy foam that looks professional in a matter of minutes.
- DUAL FUNCTION MILK WARMER AND FROTHER -- Choose to heat only, froth milk into a delicious foam or froth and heat together. This double walled electric milk frother will make it easy for you to create...
- LARGE 300ML CAPACITY MILK WARMER -- Heat enough milk for a couple of mugs of coffee or a warming hot chocolate. You can also froth up to 150ml of milk in this large milk frother machine.
- EASY CLEAN NON-STICK COATING -- The PTFE coating makes this milk frother and heater easy to keep clean. Simply wipe clean between uses with a soft damp cloth and mild detergent.
You don’t need to be an expert either. If you can read instructions, you can make beautiful looking cappuccinos and hot chocolates.
If you regularly go to Starbucks or Costa, you probably spend around £4 for a cappuccino or latte. Considering the price of this machine, you will make your money back within a few weeks.
Best Cheap Milk Frothers
Frothing your milk does not have to be expensive, there are some really cheap options if you are prepared to do a little of the hard work. However, they make great frothy coffee.
1. Bialetti Tuttocrema Frother
Just in case you didn’t know, Bialetti is very popular in Italy and is known for producing high quality products. Having tested the Tuttocrema ourselves, we found this to be highly accurate.
It’s very small but durable, and the classic design looks lovely.
More importantly, it offers brilliant performance. Within a few minutes, you can prepare creamy froth that looks fantastic and tastes delicious.
It’s very simple to use and requires little effort. You don’t need to warm the milk separately. You can do it straight on a gas, electric or ceramic stovetop and choose your preferred temperature. Then just remove it and keep pumping the plunger. It might be a bit of manual work but within a few minutes, you have perfect creamy froth to put in your cappuccino or hot chocolate.
If you like your milk to be velvety, then just swirl it in the jug and pour it out. It’s very easy and anyone can do it at minimal cost thanks to the Tuttocrema.
Cleaning is simple and takes just 5 minutes. This is mainly due to the non-stick interior, which prevents any residue from being left over. It is technically dishwasher safe but we still recommend washing it by hand. It only takes 5 minutes and requires very little effort.
- Whipping milk is extremely easy and fast. It is enough to heat the milk to the preferred temperature (but not cooked, it should have a temperature of about 60-65 degrees). Then beat the heated milk...
- Material: aluminum.
The Bialetti Tuttocrema is definitely the best milk frother at this price. Honestly, it is ridiculously cheap and you will realise how good it actually is when you see the results in person.
2. Judge JA90
This fashionably designed stainless steel milk frother not only looks good but is very low cost. For under forty pounds, you can have a tasty milk froth on top of your coffee right in the comfort of your home, no electricity needed. With just under twenty seconds of hand pumping and strong designed frothing technology, you will have a fabulous froth for the top of your favourite cup of coffee. This milk frother is a fan favourite for ease of use and ability to take it anywhere.
Works with coconut and soy milk
There is low to no noise level with this machine. It is easy to clean. All you have to do is put the parts on the top rack of your dishwasher and the unit is clean. Stainless steel makes it durable, easy to clean, and helps the product last for a long time. You can add many different kinds of milk to this great looking frother coconut, cashew, soy, regular milk, and more actually work in this manual milk frother.
For those who love hot milk
This frother is ideal for those who want create really hot milk on the stove or in the microwave and then pour it in the frother. People who do not like nonstick products would really love this product as well. It is made of stainless steel inside and out.
- Dishwasher safe
- All Stainless Steel
- No Non Stick material
- Makes creamy froth without power
- You have to put effort into frothing the milk
- If you want hot milk you have to heat it first from another heat source
- MANUAL MILK FROTHING SAUCE POT for COFFEE MACHINES - the easy way to enjoy thick frothy milk for lattes and flat white coffees or delicious hot chocolate drinks
- READY IN JUST 20 SECONDS - a single lattice aerates up to 400ml of milk when you raise and lower the plunger - the more you plunge, the frothier the milk
- HEAT MILK ON THE HOB - you can heat milk gravy and sauces on any type of stovetop including induction, and it has 'stay cool' handle so you can lift it directly from cooker to table
3. Aerolatte Handheld Electric Mooo Milk Frother
Being the cheapest product on this list, you might not be expecting much of the Aerolatte 20. However, we urge you not to make your decision solely on price. This is still a top quality product and we’re going to explain why.
Firstly, when it comes to milk frothers, Aerolatte is one of the most popular brands in the UK and worldwide market. It is known for using innovative techniques in order to produce products that are cost effective but work brilliantly.
Their frothers are completely steam-free and use an interesting whisk-head instead. Basically, you would warm up your milk in the microwave or cooktop as normal. Then, you place this handheld whisk-head straight into the jug and let it run.
In less than 30 seconds, it turns into beautifully rich and thick foam. It is so simple, and produces delicious results. We were shocked as to how quick it was and couldn’t quite believe how cheap this handheld milk frother was. It really is ideal for someone who wants posh coffee and hot chocolate drinks quickly but doen’t want to spend money daily at Starbucks or Costa.
Best of all, it’s very easy to clean and takes just a couple of minutes.
You also get a handy travel storage case, which is a nice addition. Just remember that this device is battery operated. While it does come with 2 AA batteries, we know some people would prefer not to deal with the hassle of changing batteries. You can always buy some rechargeable batteries though.
- Hand-held, battery-operated device that is designed specifically to produce perfect frothy milk in 20 seconds or less
- Can be used to froth all types of milk, including soya, rice, almond, coconut, UHT and powdered (as well as single cream)
- Will create a vast array of professional-quality hot and cold drinks such as cappuccino, café latte, hot chocolate, frappe, milkshake, cocktails (and many more)
If you’re not too bothered about that, we highly advise you to look into this product further. It is extremely cheap but offers excellent performance.
Milk Frother Buying Guide
With so much choice and so many different types of milk frother available it can be confusing as to which is not only the best but what is the best choice for you. So to make it a little easier we have put together this buyers guide to help you make the right choice and enjoy your frothy coffee.
4 Popular Types of Milk Frothers
There are four types of milk frother available which can make it confusing when you are trying to decide which is the best one for your coffee. To help we have list each of the types and provided a description and pros and cons of each.
1. Electric Milk Frother
The electric milk frother is the most popular milk frother right now. Electric Milk frothers are another easy answer to milk frothing. They eliminate having to have an extra cup for the milk. You just simply plug the machine in the wall, and pour cold milk into the frother which looks like a small tea kettle. You push the button on the froth.
The machine does all the work and then you scoop out the delicious frothed milk and add it to your favourite coffee. The whole process takes one to two minutes depending on the machine. You will have yourself café quality frothed milk in no time with an electric frother.
Worth the money
The electric frothers are the most expensive of all the frothers, but they do save you time and you get the best results. The electric frother is suitable for almost everyone. It is probably the most versatile frother, and saves a little bit of time compared to the other frothers.
2. Handheld Milk Frother
Battery powered milk frothers may look small, but you will be very surprised at how well they work. Battery powered milk frothers actually work quite well. They are a very easy to clean up, store, and use.
Easy to use
All you do is place the milk frother in a hot cup of milk and turn the frother on. The spiral metal frother at the end of the handle and stem creates a nice froth that is acceptable for a delicious morning coffee. It may not get as stiff froth as other types of milk frothers, but the froth is acceptable.
Easy to clean
The nice thing is that most are easy to clean. Clean the spiral head right away with a rinse in a little soap and water and then let dry and that is it. You can wipe it off with a sponge if you want and then rinse. These frothers are small and take up very little storage space. These frothers are the cheapest out of all the frothers and work pretty well.
Have two frothers
A battery powered frother is great for those who are not overly picky about the stiffness of their milk froth. It is always good to have a battery operated one handy wherever you are. You can easily buy a battery operated frother and an electric frother and never be without frothed milk.
3. Hand-pump Milk Frother
Manual Milk frothers are excellent for anywhere. They nice thing is they do not require you to plug them in. You just simply pour the milk into the pitcher and then pump anywhere from fifteen to twenty times. The pumping makes the frothing mechanism inside the machine froth up the milk.
You control the temperature
The manual milk frothers work great. You do have to heat the milk somewhere else with the manual frothers. You will either heat the milk on the stove or in the microwave. This milk frother requires extra effort from you to create the froth. You will be doing the pumping action.
Great for everyone
Manual frothing is great for single people. It is also would be great for campers or people with RV’s. Anywhere where electricity is precious or anywhere where there is no electricity, a manual frother would work well. You could put in almond milk or soy milk and have a special coffee wherever you are with a manual frother.
4. Steam Milk Frother
Most bean to cup espresso machines have a steam frother on the side of the espresso machine. It is usually a thin stainless steel bar that comes out like an arm. You turn a knob that lets out burning hot steam. You can control the steam with the knob. When you go to a café the froth of your coffee whether a cappuccino, latte, or just a stiff froth on top will come from a steam frother.
The heat of the espresso machine
The principle behind the steam frother is basically the coffee machine is already hot when you make the espresso or coffee. The machine will use part of the heated water you add to the water tank, mix it with air, and create the steam to froth the milk.
How does it work?
You will hold a stainless steel cup of measured cold milk under the frother, and the steam does the work to create a beautiful froth. You do not hold the arm all the way in the milk. You put the arm about 1/3 of the way into the milk. The milk will bubble up and your froth is created. It is delicious. Steam frothers are perfect for people who enjoy espresso.
They are also great for people who have a coffee machine that has both a coffee maker and an espresso maker on it. This way if there are two different tastes in a household, everyone is made happy. Most espresso makers will have a steam milk frother on it.
6 Factors When Choosing The Best Milk Frother?
Now that you know the types of milk frothers out there, let’s look at the things you need to consider before making your choice.
How much money do you have to spend is the first thing you want to think about when buying a milk frother. Thankfully with this appliance there is a milk frother for every budget. You could even buy the hand held battery operated one while saving up for a fancier milk frother that makes a stiffer froth.
It is important to note that if it is not a simple coffee where you add your own cream then the cost of a coffee in a coffee shop is pretty expensive with frothy milk. Making your own fancy coffee at home will save you hundreds of dollars. Buying whichever milk frother you want will pay for itself in no time.
A nice neat kitchen is always important. Most of these milk frothers have modern designs with mostly shining chrome materials. The Nespresso brings a little pizazz to the table with its retro red frother. It is important to like the look of an appliance you will probably use every morning.
These frothers are perfect to fit any type of kitchen designs. The modern designs fit really well with modern style of course. Almost all of the frothers are rather small. They are comparable to the size of a coffee can. The buttons for pushing and the mechanisms for performing the job are excellent on every single one of these milk frothers.
Your options for clean-up vary. There is the frother you can put in the dishwasher. The one you have to rinse out. The hand held battery ones can just be rinsed off, and the manual frother fits perfectly in the dishwasher. Most electric ones you cannot put in the dishwasher, you will have to clean them out after every use. Remember milk can dry stiff and not clean up easy once it is dry.
You definitely have to rinse and then wipe with a paper towel, every time with electric frothers. This is for the safety and longevity of the machine. If you do not like wiping things out and constantly cleaning then a dishwasher safe frother is for you, or the hand held battery operated frother that can just be rinsed off.
4. Does it froth different types of milk?
In a world of organic and many people no longer wanting just cow’s milk in the coffee, it is important to buy a milk frother that has the ability to froth your favorite milk. You may like soy, coconut, almond, hemp, or any one of the others that are made now.
It is important to note that some brands if milks froth betters. The first milk that all these manufacturers guarantee to froth is cow’s milk. Different percent milks produce different effects. If you like a different milk other than cow’s milk, just make sure to buy a milk frother that can handle your type of milk.
Some like it hot and some want a cool whip of froth on top their warm coffee, it is your preference of course. You want to buy a frothing machine that is going to fit your temperature needs.
Some frothers will not get hot enough for certain people. You may have to make your own hot milk which means you can spend less on a frother, because the temperature control frothers will not get the job done for you.
A stiff froth and a thick froth with less bubbles seems to be the fan favorite. A really good stiff and creamy froth is going too made by the electric frothers.
The next best froth will come from a steam frother on an espresso machines. The next best froth will come from the manual pumped frothers, and the battery operated frothers will make the least stiff froth. If you are super picky about a stiff froth then an electric frother is the perfect machine for you.
Fixing your handheld electric Milk Frother
If you accidentally drop your Aerolatte milk frother on a hard floor, it might come apart, exactly as ours did this morning. Don’t panic, we can fix it and put it back together in just a couple of minutes. Take a look at the easy to follow video below and you will be frothing milk in no time!
Great guide of how to make a latte art heart
The techniques below are applicable to any frother you have, are super easy and look great.
If you want to learn more about latte art, including step by step instructions of how to make it, take a look at our latte art guide and start learning now.
The best milk frother is all you need to delight your coffee and other frothed drinks.
All these appliances are exciting for making milk froth for your favourite latte, hot chocolate, and more. Remember the first job that the frother is supposed to do is froth milk, everything else is just a bonus.
Your choice of a milk frother will boil down to your specific needs. The choices really depend on how much effort you want to put into milk frothing or how much effort you want the machine to put out.
Many people are pleased with all of these milk frothers and they come highly recommended. It is well worth the money to buy a frother as the price of having a nice cup of coffee with delicious froth on top goes up. However you choose, you are guaranteed that anyone of these milk frothers are one of the best milk frothers on the market.